Blog Banner

Cardiff Blues 57 Glamorgan Wanderers 0

18th November 2008

A large turnout of supporters at the Memorial Ground saw Cardiff Blues run in nine tries against a spirited Glamorgan Wanderers side.

Cardiff Blues 57 Glamorgan Wanderers 0

Memorial Ground, Tuesday 18 November 7.15pm kick off.

A large turnout of supporters at the Memorial Ground saw Cardiff Blues run in nine tries against a spirited Glamorgan Wanderers side.

The first try of the evening came following a quick penalty by Richie Rees, who broke from his own twenty-two and showed great pace. The scrum half drew his man and put in Gareth Thomas to touch down under the posts. Sweeney converted. Thomas was soon on the scoreboard again, latching onto a Ceri Sweeney cross-field kick to touch down in the corner.

Despite the early scores, it wasn’t one-way traffic with Wanderers moving well into the Blues’ territory and working well in the lineout and always looking to spread the ball wide. However, they lacked the edge to score when the tryline beckoned.

Thomas got his hat-trick just before half-time when the Blues passed the ball to the right wing. Thomas still had the speed and vision to cut inside three men to run in unopposed. Sweeney converted.

Half-Time Glamorgan Wanderers 0 Cardiff Blues 19

The Blues started the second half as they ended the first, with Richie Rees getting a try in the opening minute, following a charge down clearance in the Wanderers twenty-two.

Rhys Williams, who was making his comeback, was instrumental in the next score. A quick pass saw the fullback break up the left wing and flip an inside pass to Gareth Thomas to touch down for his fourth.

Wanderers nearly got on the scoreboard themselves following the restart. Rhys Thomas was shown a yellow card for punching and Wanderers nearly capitalised with a try in the corner being prevented by a strong tackle by Czekaj.

Predictably, with the home side tiring, it was the Blues who again got the next score. Gareth Thomas showed his class, holding up the ball and passing on to Scott Roberts, who flipped the ball on to Richie Rees to score in the corner. Minutes later, Rhys Williams scored in the same corner, following good build-up by Nicky Robinson and Mark Lewis.

Robinson and young winger Roger Davies, were both looking sharp, having come off the bench. Sweeney moved to inside centre and provided the pass for Tito to score, who had also come off the bench.

The final try of the evening came when Robinson flipped a pass to Sweeny to score and round off what was ultimately a comfortable win for the Blues ahead of some big matches in December.

Cardiff Blues 15 Rhys Williams 14 Gareth Thomas 13 Jamie Robinson (50off) 12 Dafydd Hewitt (60off) 11 Chris Czekaj 10 Ceri Sweeney 9 Richard Rees 8 Mark Lewis 7 Ben White 6 Damian Welch (50off) 5 Scott Morgan 4 Deiniol Jones (55off) 3 Taufa’ao Filise (40off) 2 T Rhys Thomas 1 Scott Roberts Substitutes Gary Powell (40on) Ross Johnson (50on) Paul Tito (55on) Nicky Robinson (60on) Roger Davies (50on)

Cardiff Blues

Tries Gareth Thomas x 4 Richie Rees x 2 Rhys Williams x 1 Paul Tito x 1 Sweeney x 1


Cons Sweeney x 5 Robinson x 1


Glamorgan Wanderers





Yellow Card T Rhys Thomas