Blog Banner

Llanelli Scarlets 38 Cardiff Blues 10

5th May 2007

Strong Scarlets team halt the Blues on their title challenge at Stradey Park.

Early pressure from Scarlets resulted in penalty converted by Stephen Jones but foul play on Mike Phillips gave the Blues a chance to equalise. However, Blair, struck the ball just beneath the crossbar.

A win against the head in a Cardiff Blues scrum saw the Scarlets release the ball quickly out to Regan King. He drew his man superbly and released Matthew Watkins to score in the corner. Jones missed the conversion.

The Scarlets appeared to be controlling things in the early stages of the game winning possession and playing in the Blues half. Another penalty on twenty one minutes saw the Scarlets extend their lead to 11-0.

The Blues were dealt a further blow ten minutes later when Martyn Williams was handed a yellow card for killing the ball. Stephen Jones once again converted the penalty.

The Blues looked tired, playing their third game in eight days and the Scarlets always looked threatening when they spread the ball wide. However the first half ended with no further score.


The second half saw the Blues start with more determination, threatening in the Sarlets twenty two. Iestyn Thomas was penalised for hands on the floor and sent to the sin bin. Nick Robinson converted the penalty.

The Scarlets were awarded another penalty when the referee deemed the Blues had wheeled the scrum and Jones once again extended the score.

The Blues nearly scored a try when Czekaj broke cleanly through the defence, instead of passing to Jamie Robinson the pass went out to Rhys Williams who failed to hold on to the ball with no one in front of him.

They didn’t have to wait long for the score when the Blues were awarded a penalty and kicked to corner. From the line out they drove to within inches of the try line. Scott MacLeod was handed a yellow card and from the scrum Xavier Rush forced his way over. Robinson added the conversion to bring the score to 17 -10 with just over twenty minutes left.

The Scarlets were awarded a penalty for a high tackle that Jones struck wide to keep the Blues to within a converted try of levelling the scores.

They looked as if they had the ideal chance when Nicky Robinson threw and excellent pass, missing out all the tacklers, to Rhys Williams. It looked as if he would score in the corner but a ruck was formed. The ball appeared after and as the Blues looked to spread it wide with a three man overlap Barry Davies managed to intercept and touch down under the posts with Jones converting.

The Scarlets managed to score another in the corner through Barry Davies in the 73rd minute with Jones once again converting. On seventy seven minutes Watkins added another and Jones once again proved he was one of the best kickers in the game adding the conversion. The score stood at 38-10. It was game over for the Cardiff Blues and their title challenge now out of their hands.