Blog Banner

Munster 37 Cardiff Blues 8

27th May 2006

Having won the Heineken Cup in Cardiff the previous weekend there was a sea of red shirts at Thomond Park to welcome Munster home.

With Ulster winning the Celtic League title on the Friday night, both teams were aiming to finish in the third spot.

Cardiff Blues had the first chance to take the lead but a swirling wind carried the ball just wide of the posts after the Blues had been awarded a penalty. Munster had the breakthrough when after winning a scrum on the right the ball was spread to the left wing and a pop up pass out of the tackle saw centre John Kelly cross in the corner, with the try converted by Jeremy Manning. Manning kicked a further penalty kick before the Blues were awarded a penalty. A kick to the corner saw the Blues win the lineout; Mike Phillips threw a dummy and broke but was tackled just short. With the ball being recycled Duane Goodfield was on hand in the centre and he dummied this time and crossed for the try. Munster soon struck back with a try of their own for prop forward, Frederico Pucciariello. The referee had earlier failed to award a penalty to the Blues when Mike Phillips was dragged in to a ruck, but a few minutes later he awarded a penalty for the same offence. Nic Macleod kicked the penalty and with the referee harshly awarding a penalty to Munster for a high tackle when it appeared that their player had ducked in to the tackle the score at half time was Munster 18 Cardiff Blues 8.

Half Time Munster 18 Cardiff Blues 8

The Blues started the second half extremely well with constant pressure in the Munster twenty two for the first ten minutes. A penalty kick to the corner saw the Blues win the line out and spread the ball out to the backs, the move broke down in the centre and Munster managed to clear. Munster however fought back and quick ball from the scrum saw the backline work an overlap and John Kelly managed to cross in the corner with the try converted to bring the score to 25-8. A number of substitutions saw the game lose its shape and Munster took advantage. Substitute Trevor Halstead managed to race clear and his pass to wing Mossy Lawler saw Munster extend their lead. An injury time interception try by Trevor Halstead saw Munster emerge victorious by 37-8.