Blog Banner

Glasgow Warriors v Cardiff Blues Match Report

24th September 2005

Blues win but injury worries continue. Read match report here.


Having beaten the Sarlets in their last match the Blues travelled to Scotland knowing that they would be facing a tough challenge with Glasgow beating Munster by 31-10 last weekend.

Glasgow started well with a penalty for outside half and Captain, Dan Parks. They added to their lead when scrum half Sam Half broke from the base of a ruck, full back Calvin Pinder came in on the scissors to take the ball and score. Dan Parks converted.

However Nicky Robinson soon got the Blues back in the game when he scored a great individual try breaking from just inside his own half. He ran full speed for the corner and wrong footed the Glasgow full back to score under the posts and converted his own try. T

he Cardiff Blues stepped up a gear following their poor start with Ryan Powell passing to Robin Sowden-Taylor who broke through the defence just inside his own half, Jamie Robinson was in support and his quick hands fed Craig Morgan who scored in the corner. Nicky Robinson converted.

The Blues showed excellent interplay between forwards and backs and could have extended their lead further but Robinson was unlucky with two penalty attempts from the left side of the posts, hitting the post with one of them.

Half Time


The Blues got off to a great start when excellent passing in the backs and a strong hand off from Lee Thomas created the overlap he fed Mamma Molitika who scored. Nicky Robinson kicked the conversion.

With the Blues leading by 21-10 they looked as if they had control of the game, however Glasgow soon struck back. They passed the ball from left to right and back, the overlap soon came and winger Mike Roberts ran over in the corner to score. Dean Parks hit the post with the conversion. However the Blues soon cancelled out the Glasgow score when Maama Molitika scored his second try from close range with Lee Thomas converting to bring the score to Glasgow 15 Cardiff Blues 28.

The home side stepped up a gear, desperate to try to salvage something from the game, the Blues absorbed the pressure in their own twenty two before winger Rory Lamont scored in the corner. A further penalty for Glasgow took their score to 23 with the game ending Glasgow Warriors 23 Cardiff Blues 28.

Cardiff Blues can also confirm that their injury worries continue. Gethin Jenkins had an operation on his right shoulder on Friday night and looks to be out for three months. T Rhys Thomas also suffered a knee injury in the Glasgow game and will see a specialist on Monday.