Blog Banner

District Under 12 Match Reports

18th April 2006

In the recent round of matches, age grade under 12s teams from around the region have been in action.

District Under 12’s Rhondda 25 – 7 Caerphilly

Monday 3 April saw Rhondda take on a strong Caerphilly District side at Treherbert RFC.

Ethan Lewis (Treorchy RFC) gave Rhondda an early lead with a fantastic forwards try, but Caerphilly soon responded with a well taken try of their own. This seemed to spur Rhondda into action, with captain James Parry (Treorchy RFC) having a storming game and leading by example, the crowd were treated to a mature display of exciting rugby football.

Parry, along with his pack made constant inroads into the opposition time and again. The quick ball the forwards produced was taken on by Rhondda’s powerhouse centre Callum Phillips (YGC Y Cymer) or moved to the speedsters out-wide in Callum Roberts (YGC Y Cymer), Luke Rees (Treorchy RFC) and Dale Hughes (Pontypridd RFC).

Rhondda’s front row of Ethan Lewis and Garyn Daniel (YGC Y Cymer) scored a brace of tries each thanks to their excellent support work. Rhondda’s final try was scored following a neat blindside move involving Sam Jones and Meurig Davies (both Ystrad Rhondda RFC) that allowed Dale Hughes to race away for a score in the corner.

Rhondda Try Scorers: Ethan Lewis (2), Garyn Daniels (2) and Dale Hughes

District Under 12’s Afon Nedd 12 - 7 Pontypridd

Friday night saw Pontypridd district U12’s travel over to Resolven to play against the highly regarded Afon Nedd Side. The game itself was testament to the commitment of both sides particularly Pontypridd.

Up against a much heavier pack Pontypridd forwards worked very well together to gain ground throughout the first half and were unfortunate not to create a score. Good forward play from Tom James (Llantwit Fardre RFC) and Simon Pring (Llanharan RFC) released the rampaging Jason Franklin (Llantrisant RFC) into the Afon Nedd twenty-two only for the team to held up just short after countless phases of play.

It was forward play that would be the order of the day as stubborn defence did not allow many clear cut opportunities out wide. Midway through the first half Afon Nedd’s forward pressure paid of with the side able to squeeze its way over right next to the corner flag. With the conversion brought into he 15 it made it a lot easier for the Afon Nedd coal kicker who made it 7 – 0 at half time.

Not disheartened by this Pontypridd remained positive going into the second half and even when they fell further behind the players did not give up the ghost. With too livewires in the back row Jordan Wellman (Beddau RFC) and Rory Troake (Llantwit Fardre RFC),

Pontypridd were built for an expansive game. Finding success kicking from deep and chasing it was a kick from outside half and Captain Rhys Hughes (Llantwit Fardre RFC) that put Afon Nedd under all sorts of pressure.

Speedsters Harry Davies (Llantrisant RFC) and David Hooper (Cardinal Newman) gave chase and made the tackles that forced Afon Nedd to concede a penalty. Swooping on the ball Rory Troake pounced and took a quick tap and fed the barn storming Max Watkins (Llantwit Fardre RFC) to crash over from 15 yards. The try was converted by Rhys Hughes and set up a grandstand finish.

With defences on top even in the dieing moments it was man of the match David Hooper who had Pontypridd hearts in their mouth as his punt through put Afon Nedd under pressure once again. The flying Jordan Nibblet (Llantwit Fardre RFC) gave chase only for Afon Nedd to regain possession and close out the game.

Well done to the whole squad of players especially Chris Pemberton of Llantrisant who made his debut on the night. Well done boys have a good Easter and I’ll see you for training on the 27th 4.15pm at Upperboat playing fields.

Pontypridd Try Scorer Max Watkins
Conversion was kicked by Rhys Hughes

(Report by Pontypridd District Coach Ben Rose)