Blog Banner

Cardiff Blues 27 - Leinster 11

11th May 2007

Cardiff Blues end their Magners League campaign with a four try bonus point win against Leinster at the Arms Park.


Friday 11 May 7.10pm kick off

Leinster kick off, in front of a lot of travelling fans, but afternoon rain has made the playing conditions difficult.

Both teams came out with the intention of scoring tries and five minutes into the game, Nicky Robinson broke the defence drew his man and passed outside to Sowden-Taylor. He had enough pace to cut inside and cross for the first try f the evening.

Contepomi soon got the visitors on the scoreboard hitting a penalty from 40yards out.

The Argentinean outside-half was proving to be a tricky customer with some strong
running and Leinster always looked threatening when he had the ball.

The Blues didn’t help themselves with kicks failing to find touch which enabled Leinster to counter attack.

A turnover and kick through by Phillips saw the chase for the line but D’Arcy just managed to get back and clear.

However, the Blues were awarded a penalty minutes later that Blair converted to extend their lead.

Leinster knew they needed a bonus point win if they were to secure the title and chose to kick a penalty to touch for the line out yards from the Blues try-line.

Good defence by Blues managed to keep Leinster out and an excellent Jamie Robinson tackle on Horgan lead to a penalty and gave the Blues the opportunity to clear their lines. Leinster ran the ball back which resulted in a penalty converted by Contepomi.

Good movement by the Blues backs saw them move in to the Leinster twenty two, which resulted in a penalty for them and they opted to kick for the line out. A big drive by the forwards saw Gareth Williams crash over for the try. Blair narrowly failed with the conversion, which saw the score stand at Cardiff Blues 13 Leinster 6 at half time.


A slick move by the backs saw Ben Blair come into the line and into the Leinster twenty two. Xavier Rush took on the charge but Leinster just managed to clear.

The Blues however didn’t have to wait long however. A beautifully weighted cross field kick by Robinson landed in the lap of Czekaj and he passed out to Rhys Williams, who sprinted over for the try. Robinson added the conversion.

A speculative kick through by Nicky Robinson was gathered by Shane Horgan. He attempted to chip over the top of the defence by Stcherbina managed to catch the ball and charge over for the Blues’ fourth try of the evening. Robinson again added the conversion.

Shane Horgan managed to grab one back for the Irishmen when he sprinted through the defence and chipped ahead. The ball bobbled out of Rhys Williams’ grasp was and Horgan just managed to out sprint Stcherbina for the touchdown.

The Blues hit back and spread the ball wide with Jamie Robinson putting in a neat grubber kick that kept pressure on Leinster. They came to within yards of the Leinster try-line but just knocked the ball on at the crucial moment.

However the Blues had secured the win that took them to the top of the Magners league. They would have to hope for a huge upset in Scotland to know if they had won the league.