Blog Banner

Cardiff Blues 27 Glasgow Warriors 9

22nd September 2006

Glasgow kicked off at the earlier time of 6.40pm and within five minutes an excellent break from Mike Phillips from base of a ruck after Tom Shanklin had broken the gain line, saw Cardiff Blues awarded a penalty 35metres out.

Ben Blair stepped up to kick his first point at the Arms Park to give the Blues the lead. The Blues tried to spread the ball but Glasgow drifted off side and Robinson kicked for corner. From the line out they spread the ball and Tom Riley showed great strength taking the ball up field, the Blues were awarded a further penalty that Blair converted.

Glasgow also spread the ball across the filed with some nice passing while the Blues also endeavoured to entertain. Some quick passing by Tom Shanklin and Ben Blair saw the ball emerge to Czekaj and he just failed to get in the corner in a limited amount of space. The home side continued to build their momentum and a lovely swerve and pass from Tom Riley saw Ben Blair side step off his right to touch down under the posts and also convert his own try. Glasgow soon kicked two penalties to get off the scoreboard and bring the score on the break to Cardiff Blues 13 Glasgow Warriors 6.


In stead of clearing the ball the Blues were putting pressure on themselves in their own twenty two by passing the ball around. However they soon got away to the Galsgow half and Tom Riley who was having an excellent game saw two men down and a neat chip through could have seen him score a try had the bounce been kinder. They were awarded a penalty a few minutes later but this time Blair hit it just wide, Parks was more accurate with his penalty from the half way line to bring the score to 13-9.

Tom Shanklin showed excellent strength to hold on to the ball from an up and under in to the Glasgow twenty two and when the ball was recycled Nick Robinson threw a huge pass out to Xavier Rush. However Mosese Luveitasau emerged and stole the ball out of the captains hands, round his winger and scored a great try, converted by Blair. Good inter passing between Czekaj and Shanklin nearly saw the big centre go in for a try. He didn’t have to wait long, good driving by the forwards from a line out and quick hands saw Shanklin come on a neat angle to touch down near the post for the Blues third try, once again converted by Blair. Shanklin came off for Macleod, Mike Phillips off for Ed Fairhurst and Mark Lewis on for Xavier Rush off. Twice Ben Blair covered for Luveitasau with a last ditch tackle on the Glasgow winger Thom Evans who was looking dangerous all night. Right at the very end of the match Nick Macleoad made a lovely break from his own half and chipped through for Czekaj to chase. Despite it looking like the winger got their first the ref awarded a scrum v and Glasgow managed to clear and the Blues failed to get the try and the bonus point.
Attendance 6,326

Director of Coaching David Young said,
"We're happy with the win but, if we're honest, we probably played better in the two games we've lost.

"The effort, commitment and desire is something that we expect and we've had that in abundance.

"But the accuracy, composure and patience is lacking a little bit and our skill levels let us down."