Blog Banner

Cardiff And Vale Thwarted By Bridgend

8th December 2004

Over the past few weeks Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan District age grade teams have been in action and most recently the Cardiff and Vale under 12’s team took on their Bridgend counterparts.

Bridgend are a side firing on all cylinders and have recently taken the scalps of Swansea and Gwent. This didn’t phase Cardiff and Vale and there was a strong sense of optimism in the camp with a number of fresh faces in the squad following a recent development / identification day during half term.

This sense of optimism was evident from the off as Cardiff and Vale got the perfect start moving up the field in multiple phases and finally creating space for prop Jean-Babtiste Bruzulier, hot on the shoulder of winger Harry Robinson, to crash over in the corner.

Cheers turned tears for the home side as Bridgend showed their class by replying instantly with a wonderful flowing movement that resulted in their winger racing in at the corner.

With the game tied, possession and territorial advantage could not be established by either side. Only the incisive running of Cardiff and Vale centre Josh Hurley was holding the attention of the crowd as he made a number breaks which, unfortunately, could not be could not be finished by his team mates. From such a movement, Cardiff and Vale turned the ball over and Bridgend’s strong running 8 made a useful gain before the Bridgend centre made a break from the 10 yard line and raced to the posts to score a converted try.

Bridgend were starting to get a foothold in the game and set up camp near the Cardiff and Vale line, applying continual pressure and only being denied by some strong defending. The home team continued to play with attacking intent, even from deep positions and ultimately it proved their undoing as a handling error in midfield allowed Bridgend to regain possession and race over for another try on the stroke of half time. Bridgend led 5-19.

Despite the setback, Cardiff and Vale continued the second half with the adventurous swagger that had characterised their first half display. The forwards dominating possession during the second half and after establishing an attacking platform moved the ball back and forth the Bridgend 22 before live-wire flanker Kyle Foat dived over to score a try that was duly converted by full back Rhys Patchell.

As the half progressed, Cardiff and Vale pressed for the equalising score but were constantly thwarted by some resolute Bridgend defence. Indeed, Bridgend hung on for a 19-12 victory from a pulsating encounter played in the right spirit and clearly demonstrating that the talent pool in both areas is glimmering brightly.