Blog Banner

Blues on Tour: World Club 10s Day Two

22nd June 2014

Cardiff Blues have been in action on Day Two of the World Club 10s in Singapore - here we look back on the final three matches of the tournament for the region in Southeast Asia.

Cup Quarter-Final: Cardiff Blues 10 Samoa Water President’s 10 5

Aled Summerhill scored a stunning try as Cardiff Blues produced a display packed full of determination and desire as they shocked much-fancied Samoa to reach the semi-finals of the Cup in the World Club 10s.

Samoa had ended day one as many people’s favourites after finishing in second spot in Pool A, but only after a shocking late drop goal miss denied them a win against table topping Auckland Blues.

But they were left shell-shocked by a brilliant defensive show from Blues who held firm after clinically took two tries to progress to the last four of the showpiece Cup competition.

The game started at a frenetic pace with some huge early tackles coming in from both sides before Blues stole a scrum and Owen Williams broke down field and into space.

Samoa always looked dangerous in broken field, but they were being forced to play from deep inside their own half by a well drilled Welsh defence in the opening quarter of the fixture.

Blues did lose a man when Gareth Davies was yellow carded and the Samoans made the numerical advantage count as Tila Mealoi had enough power to cross the line from close range.

Owen Williams and Richard Smith continued to take the game to Samoa with powerful runs before Patchell released George Watkins who chipped ahead and was just beaten to the loose ball by the Samoan cover.

However, back went play for an off the ball infringement and this time Samoa lost a man. A resulting huge lineout drive was shunted over with the try awarded to Lloyd Williams as the teams went in level at 5-5 at the break.

Blues were agonisingly close to a second try after the restart as Samoa were guilty of playing on their own line and when the ball failed to find hands it almost fell to the alert Lewis Jones.

More clinical back play from Patchell released Summerhill down the left and he produced a stunning finish under pressure in the corner as Blues went 10-5 ahead with six minutes left.

Blues were now defending magnificently against a barrage of attacks from all angles from the inventive Samoans.

Watkins, Jones and Summerhill led a breakaway only to be pushed into touch. The officials, though, bizarrely failed to flag and Samoa broke away only for a thundering hit from Owen Williams to rock them back.

With 50 seconds remaining Blues won a penalty at the scrum and Humberstone kicked to touch. The resulting lineout was secured and one more penalty ensured Blues made the final four.

Cardiff Blues (starting line-up):  Owen Williams, Josh Navidi, Rhys Williams, Lloyd Williams, Gareth Davies, Rhys Patchell, George Watkins, Ellis Jenkins, Chris Dicomidis, Macauley Cook

Cup Semi-Final: Cardiff Blues 5 The Brumbies 17

A second half try from Dan Fish and stirring comeback came up just short as Cardiff Blues suffered a narrow 17-5 defeat to three-time Super 15 champions the Brumbies in the semi-final of the Cup in the World Club 10s.

The two teams had served up an epic in the pool stages with the Australians running out narrow 21-12 winners after a late score – and the semi-final was a repeat as both teams traded attack after attack until the final whistle.

Blues showed some neat handling skills in the opening minutes to free up space for Macauley Cook to exploit down the middle before the marauding Rhys Patchell just failed to find Josh Navidi with a wide pass.

Australian international Jesse Mogg almost got in behind to pick up a low grubber kick with the speedster first to the ball but dragged down by a combination of Lloyd Williams and George Watkins.

A slice of fortune, though, did see Mogg score the game’s first try moments later as his kick ahead into space took a kind bounce to evade Blues and the winger gleefully accepted.

The game was living up to its tight billing as both teams traded possession as they rattled into contact against well drilled defensive units.

However, a close range score from the outstretched Nigel Au Wong, in the dying seconds of the first half left, Blues with a big mountain to climb in the second period.

Ellis Jenkins produced a sensational try saving tap tackle at the start of the second half as Blues were forced to dig deep in the heat before Simon Humberstone produced a monster touch finder to force Brumbies back.

Lewis Jones then looked to spark an attack with a clever show and go in a congested midfield before an injection of pace sent Dan Fish away down the right to score and reduce the lead to 10-5.

Blues again went agonisingly close as Owen Williams and Aled Summerhill broke clear but the final pass just failed to find the hands of Gareth Davies.

Back came the Brumbies and a converted try from Lachlan McCaffrey sealed the victory as Blues staged one last attack from deep that saw them rattle up close, backed by the home crowd, after the ball fell away.

Cardiff Blues (starting line-up):  Owen Williams, Josh Navidi, Rhys Williams, Lloyd Williams, Gareth Davies, Rhys Patchell, George Watkins, Ellis Jenkins, Chris Dicomidis, Macauley Cook
3rd/4th Play-Off: Cardiff Blues 17 Asia Pacific Dragons 26

Cardiff Blues brought the curtain down on their Southeast Asia adventure with a 26-17 defeat against Asian Pacific Dragons in the third/fourth play-off clash at the World Club 10s in Singapore.

Blues were forced to settle for fourth spot in the competition after an energy-sapping final encounter against the AP Dragons – who featured several Fiji internationals – despite tries from Ellis Jenkins, Dan Fish and George Watkins in a thrilling second half.

Aled Summerhill was unlucky not to pick up a loose ball at the back of the ruck and race away in the opening minute as Dragons looked to exert the early pressure.

Owen Williams then intercepted a pass to race up field before the AP Dragons almost repeated the feat as a floated pass was almost picked off as both teams looked to play an expansive style.

Wales ace Williams was at his rampaging best to torment the AP Dragons but his game ended suddenly when a heavy hit left him injured and stretchered off after several minutes.

When the game resumed a strong run from Ellis Jenkins barrelled him over from close range after Blues claimed the lineout and drove forward with real power and menace.

However, the Dragons hit back with two quick-fire tries as a snipping run around the base freed up room to score down the blindside and within seconds space opened up once again for Tu Umaga-Marshall who made it 12-5 at the break.

Richard Smith, Lloyd Williams and Rhys Patchell all linked well to make yards at the start of the second half with Patchell only denied a try as he stepped back inside but lost control as he stretched for the line.

Chris Didomidis, Smith and Simon Humberstone all produced brilliant try saving tackles before a third score, after relentless pressure from the AP Dragons, from Reiner Leong left Blues trailing 19-5.

Elvis Taione scored a fourth after more neat handling from the AP Dragons, who had been narrowly edged out by Auckland Blues for a place in the final.

A brilliant turn of electric pace from Summerhill took him down the right and his perfectly timed pass to Dan Fish sent the Blues ace over for a well-worked second try.

And George Watkins then superbly beat three men to score a sublime solo effort as Blues showed late spirit in defeat.

Cardiff Blues (starting line-up):  Owen Williams, Josh Navidi, Rhys Williams, Rhys Patchell, George Watkins, Ellis Jenkins, Chris Dicomidis, Macauley Cook, Simon Humberstone, Aled Summerhill