Blog Banner

Blues Finish Heineken Cup Campaign With Narrow Win

20th January 2007

A late Nicky Robinson penalty gave Cardiff Blues a 27-24 victory over Borugoin in Round 6 to complete a double over the French team.



A penalty to corner in the 7th minute saw the Bues work the ball through a few phases before Ben Blair came in to the line from a good angle to touch down. Despite the difficult angle Nicky Robinson managed to land the conversion.

Good attacking work by Xavier Rush saw the Blues awarded another penalty and from 40 yards out Nicky Robinson slotted another to give the Blues a ten nil lead

The Blues however didn't have it all their own way and were under pressure on their own try line when Bourgoin were awarded a penalty, however excellent defensive play by the Blues forwards saw Bourgoin pushed in to touch. The Blues were eventually awarded a penalty and cleared up-field.

The hail stones started to fall but this didn’t stop the Blues from attacking and Mike Phiilips came close to scoring when he drove in to the Bourgoin twenty two. Lovely inter passing between forwards and backs saw the ball move out to Gary Powell who passed out to Nick Robinson, he threw a wide pass out to Ben Blair who sprinted over for his second try of the evening. Robinson once again did well with a touchline conversion.

Despite being under pressure throughout the first half, the French visitors did manage to get a try back when prop Davit Khinchgishvili powered over from close range. Laloo sliced the conversion wide.


Soon after the break the Blues were on the scoreboard again when Nick Robinson put in a lovely little grubber kick on the right of the pitch. Nick Macleod collected and sprinted over for the Blues third try of the game that Robinson converted.

Bourgoin came close to scoring under the Blues posts and were eventually awarded for their endeavours when a forward drive saw Mark Rennie cross for the Frenchmen’s second try of the match converted by Laloo.

Mark Lewis made a welcome return to the pitch from his injury as the Blues made a number of substitutions.

Bourgoin got another score minutes later when they broke from their own half and kicked ahead. Good chasing by number 11 Jean Francois Coux saw the winger cross the line to put Bourgoin back in the match at 24-17.

The score lifted the French side and they continued to drive forward scoring another try in the dying minutes of the game, Laloo stood up to kick the conversion to draw the match. There wa however just enough time for the Blues to drive upfield where they were awarded another penalty. Nicky Robinson was cool as a cucumber as he slotted the kick to win the match for the Blues and keep his 100% kicking record.