Blog Banner

Blues comeback comes too late

7th October 2005

Wasps began the game at a high intensity and it was only an interception by Tom Shanklin in the first five minutes that prevented a try for the home team, following a break from their own half.

The pressure mounted on the Blues with Alex King charging down a Nicky Robinson kick, the Wales outside half held him back and was lucky not to be yellow carded. Alex King kicked the penalty to get the first score for Wasps. They did not have to wait long for their first try with the Wasps backline passing out wide and good work by winger Paul Sackey passing back inside to Ben Gotting to score. Alex King converted. The Blues handling was poor but they nearly got their breakthrough in the 25th minute when Ryan Powell chipped ahead for Craig Morgan to chase. Paul Sackey collected the ball for Wasps but Morgan dragged him over the line for a scrum five, however the Blues failed to take advantage of the situation.

Alex King added a further penalty for Wasps and worse was to follow for the Blues when Wasps attacked and moved the ball out wide. Craig Morgan was drawn in from the wing but quick hands by Stuart Abbot allowed Paul Sackey to race over in the corner to score. Alex King converted from touchline.

Half Time London Wasps 20 – Cardiff Blues 0

The situation did not improve for the Blues after the break, with a Nicky Robinson’s kick being charged down, the ball bounced kindly for Josh Lewsey to sprint through to score. Alex King converted and with two further penalties from substitute Van Gisbergen the score stood at Wasps 33 Blues 0. Nicky Robinson came close to scoring for the Blues when he hacked ahead from 40 yards out, the ball stopped just over the try line but the Cardiff Number 10 was just beaten to the ball by the Saracens defence. It was 65 minutes in to the game before the Blues finally got on the scoreboard when Nicky Robinson passed to Chris Csekaj just inside the Wasps half, the young international winger had enough pace and skill to beat Josh Loosey, chip over the full back and score a great individual try. The vocal Cardiff Blues supporters’ who had travelled up to High Wycombe had something to cheer. This was the start of a period of intense pressure from the Blues with Xavier Rush crashing over for a try on his first start for the Blues, Nicky Robinson converted. Substitute Maama Molitika also crossed the line and Robinson converting again to bring the score to 33-17. However it was Wasps who had the final say when Josh Loosey intercepted a pass inside the Blues 22, the winger passed on to James Brookes who raced over to score and convert his try. It was a rugby lesson by one of the best teams in Europe.

Full Time: Wasps 40 - Cardiff Blues 19