Cardiff Blues 12 - 33 Ospreys
Sat 14 April 18:30 Cardiff City Stadium Att: 8,396 Ref: George Clancy Pro12

Cardiff Blues 12 Ospreys 33

Sat 14 Apr 2012 21:03 Cardiff Blues 12 Ospreys 33
Cardiff Blues 12 Ospreys 33
Blues suffer defeat to Ospreys

Saturday 14 April 6.30pm kick off

Cardiff Blues kicked off and were on the scoreboard in the first minute from a long range, Leigh Halfpenny penalty.

The Blues were however, then dealt a blow when Gavin Evans was harshly given a yellow card when he went for an interception, but George Clancy deemed he had deliberately knocked on and sent him to the bin. Biggar slotted from the offence to level the scores.

With the man advantage the Ospreys threatened but the Blues defence stood firm and they eventually cleared the danger, despite the visitors coming to within yards of the try-line.

It was the Blues who re-established the lead through another Halfpenny penalty, following good carrying work by Cuthbert and scavenging work on the ground by the evergreen Martyn Williams.

Biggar and Halfpenny exchanged penalties, before Halfpenny slotted another to bring the score to 12-6 at the break.

Half time Cardiff Blues 12 Ospreys 6

The Ospreys started the second half putting pressure on the Blues scrum again, this time five metres out, driving the Blues back, however the Ospreys side was penalised and the Blues managed to clear.

The effort was undone when the Blues were again dealt a blow. Unbelievably, George Clancy showed Ceri Sweeney a yellow card, when he went for an interception and knocked on. Biggar slotted the easy effort and when Hewitt was dropped on his head tempers boiled over with the Blues supporters showing again their displeasure at the referee who awarded the Ospreys a penalty. Biggar then equalled the score with a simple penalty.

The game seemed to be slipping away from the Blues when Alun Wyn Jones ran a good angle just outside the twenty two in the 10 channel to score the try that Biggar converted.

The Ospreys were beginning to dominate and when Adam Jones picked up from a ruck three yards out and powered over it looked like the game was over for the Blues.

The final nail in the coffin came when Tom Smith scored from the base of a scrum with Biggar converting to bring he final score to 12-33.

Cardiff Blues15 Leigh Halfpenny 14 Alex Cuthbert 13 Gavin Evans (60off) 12 Dafydd Hewitt 11 Harry Robinson 10 Ceri Sweeney (62off) 9 Lloyd Williams (71off)

8 Luke Hamilton (60off) 7 Martyn Williams (65off) 6 Michael Paterson 5 James Down 4 Bradley Davies (c) 3 Sam Hobbs (60off) 2 Marc Breeze (70off) 1 John Yapp (70off)

16 Kristian Dacey (70on) 17 Nathan Trevett (70on)18 Ryan Harford (60on) 19 Josh Navidi (65on) 20 Maama Molitika (60on) 21 Richie Rees (71on) 22 Dan Parks (62on) 23 Casey Laulala (60on)

Ospreys15 Richard Fussell 14 Hanno Dirksen 13 Tom Isaacs 12 Andrew Bishop 11 Shane Williams 10 Dan Biggar 9 Kahn Fotuali’i

8 Joe Bearman 7 Justin Tipuric 6 Ryan Jones 5 Ian Evans 4 Alun Wyn Jones (c) 3 Adam Jones 2 Richard Hibbard 1 Paul James

16 Scott Baldwin 17 Ryan Bevington 18 Aaron Jarvis 19 James King 20 Tom Smith 21 Rhys Webb 22 Matthew Morgan 23 Sonny Parker

Cardiff Blues
Pen Halfpenny x 4


Tries A W Jones x 1 A Jones x 1 Smith x 1
Pen Biggar x 4
Con Biggar x 3

Yellow Card: G Evans , C Sweeney
Attendance: 8,396