Leinster 37 - 23 Cardiff Blues
Fri 26 September 19:35 RDS Arena Att: 12,540 Ref: Ian Davies Pro12

Leinster Rugby 37 Cardiff Blues 23

Fri 26 Sep 2014 10:00 Leinster Rugby  37 Cardiff Blues 23
Cardiff Blues continued to fight their way back into the game, drawing level shortly before half time and narrowing the home sides lead in the second half.

When Blues centre Cory Allen and back row Sam Warburton both crossed the whitewash within a few minutes of each other, it looked, to the dismay of the crowd that the Blues could claim the victory.

In the dying minutes of the match the Leinster men rediscovered their form and claimed the four try bonus point.

A strong start from Leinster, who were trying to keep the ball in hand and play with width. The Irish sides’ fast-pace, quick ball saw them take the lead, 6-0 after eight minutes of play.

Cardiff Blues came back showing their strength and looking to get the ball out wide. It wasn’t long before they were rewarded for their efforts, Leinster were penalised at the ruck. A spiralling kick by Rhys Patchell ensured the points for the visitors, 6-3.

Cardiff Blues seem to have found their feet and once again Leinster are penalised at the ruck, this time Patchell kicks the ball wide missing the posts.

Leinster started to go quiet as Cardiff Blues looked to make the most of the cracks showing the home sides’ performance.

Both sides defence held strong as neither side gained much ground. Each side looked to make powerful, quick breaks as they worked through the phases. A penalty against Rob Kearney gave the Blues a chance to level the score. Patchell successfully kicked the ball over the posts, from 40 meters out, with only 10 minutes to half time.

It wasn’t long before Leinster answered the draw with a try securing their lead at half time. Flanker Ruddock ran onto a short ball at pace, dodging Dicomidis and handing off Jones, to cross over in the far corner. Ian Madigan successfully converted the try.

The second half saw Leinster replacement, Mick McGrath, score a try within the first seven minutes. Only six minutes later Leinster scored another try. Gopperth slipped past Gareth Davies and with a quick pass to D’Arcy who stepped inside Fish to cross the line.

The Blues kept their spirits up and refused to give up. After a quick line-out, Allen chased his own kick and grabbed a loose ball, side stepping Madigan to get the first try for the visitors.

Allen’s try was followed by a break from Adam Thomas who feed to Fish, who passed inside to Warburton. The TMO was asked to check if it had been a forward pass, however it had been touched by a Leisnter hand in flight and the Blues were given the try. Patchell’s conversion meant there was only four points in it.

In the dying minutes of the game both sides fought hard but Leinster proved to be a little stronger as Madigan kicked a close range penalty. A turnover in the last seconds of the game gave Leinster’s Byrne a chance to put McGrath in position to score a final try for the home team to secure the bonus point.

05m Madigan p 3-0
08m Madigan p 6-0
19m Patchell p 6-3
29m Patchell p 6-6
38m Ruddock t Madigan c 13-6
40m Patchell p 13-9
46m McGrath t Madigan c 20-9
52m D’Arcy t Madigan c 27-9
64m Allen t Patchell c 27-16
66m Warburton t Patchell c 27-23
72m Madigan p 30-23
80m McGrath t Madigan c 37-23
Cardiff Blues: 15 Rhys Patchell, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Cory Allen, 12 Dafydd Hewitt (Thomas 35), 11 George Watkins (Fish 51), 10 Gareth Davies, 9 Lewis Jones; 1 Gethin Jenkins (Hobbs 53), 2 Kristian Dacey (Rees 51), 3 Adam Jones (Filise 57), 4 Jarrad Hoeata (Cook 57), 5 Chris Dicomidis, 6 Josh Turnbull, 7 Sam Warburton, 8 Josh Navidi (c)(Vosawai 71)

Replacements: 16 Matthew Rees, 17 Sam Hobbs, 18 Taufa'ao Filise, 19 Macauley Cook, 20 Manoa Vosawai, 21Tavis Knoyle, 22 Adam Thomas, 23 Dan Fish