Leicester Tigers 42 - 20 Cardiff Blues
Sat 03 November 14:30 Welford Road Att: 17,118 Ref: Nigel Owens Anglo Welsh Cup

Leicester Tigers 42 Cardiff Blues 20

Mon 5 Nov 2007 12:26 Leicester Tigers 42 Cardiff Blues 20
Leicester showed early on that their defence was solid but the Blues were attacking well in the Leicester twenty two. They were eventually awarded a penalty that Ben Blair converted.

However, Leicester proved they could also attack and Corey cut through Blues defence, before Richie Rees was awarded a penalty for obstruction, and they managed to clear their lines.

Leicester were soon on the scoreboard when Varndell put in a grubber but was tackled late by Rees and from the penalty Goode levelled the score on fifteen minutes.

A Blues lineout saw a nice move down the blind side, with Tom James putting in an inside pass to Shanklin. But the ball was just knocked on in the tackle as the Blues approached the Leicester try-line.

A scorching break by Rabeni through the heart of the midfield took Leicester all the way up to the Blues twenty two. They were eventually awarded a penalty that Goode converted to give them the lead.

It was an even match but the Blues were winning a lot of possession but failing to finish chances.

However, Blair once again converted a penalty to level the scores when
Leicester failed to roll away from the ruck.

Ben Blair showed his class in open play when he sliced into the line cutting open the Leicetser defence. Good support by James saw the Blues move forward before eventually being awarded a scrum. Accidental offside saw Leicetser given a scrum and clear once again.

The Blues were dealt a blow when Gareth Williams was awarded a yellow card for handling in the ruck and Goode slotted the penalty on the stroke of half time to give the Tigers the lead.


The Blues were a man down and Leicester made the most of it. From loose play Goode stepped inside him man and chipped through. The ball fell kindly into the lap of Varndell who sprinted over in the corner for the try, Goode converted.

Controversially the Tigers were awarded a second try when it appeared that Johne Murphy failed to ground the ball. Despite going to the TMO the try was awarded. The score was now 21-6 which meant the Blues would have to chase the game.

John Yapp charged powerfully to within a yard of the Leicester try-line. The ball then was spread right were Xavier Rush crashed over for the Blues’ first try of the afternoon. Blair added the conversion.

A clinical move by the Tiger saw them extend the lead. Dan Hipkiss cut through the heart of the defence, rounded the fullback and touched down under the posts. Paul Burke added the conversion.

Minutes later Rebeni put in a neat chip gathered by Johne Murphy and he sprinted over for the Tigers fourth try of the afternoon.

The fifth try came from a penalty try when a Leicester scrum on the Blues tryline was interfered with. Burke added the conversion.

The Blues however had the final say when some good phase work saw Ben Blair come into the line and score in the corner. Blair added the conversion that brought the final score to Leicester Tigers 42 Cardiff Blues 20

Tigers must face Sale at Welford Road and Blues must travel to Bath in the final pool stages of the competition.