Southern Kings 12 - 45 Cardiff Blues
Sat 14 April 19:35 Nelson Mandela Bay Att: 3,706 Ref: Sean Gallagher Guinness Pro14

Southern Kings 12 Cardiff Blues 45

Sat 14 Apr 2018 20:26 Southern Kings 12 Cardiff Blues 45
Following the Ospreys defeat to Ulster last night, Wales’ Capital Region knew any victory would be enough to secure a top four finish and their place at the top table of European Rugby.

And they did so in style as they dominated every facet at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth.

Danny Wilson’s men led 33-0 at the break following tries from Alex Cuthbert, Seb Davies, Josh Turnbull, Willis Halaholo and Kirby Myhill.

Ntabeni Dukisa claimed a consolation for the hosts in the second-half but their floodgates remained open with Myhill claiming a second with Blaine Scully also crossing.

The encounter fizzled out in the final 20 with Lindo Welemu claiming another try for the hosts but again, it was little more than a consolation.

With a PRO14 top four finish now secured, and slim hope of a play-off spot, attention now turns to next Saturday’s European Challenge Cup semi-final against Pau at Cardiff Arms Park.

Cardiff Blues made a flying start to the encounter in Port Elizabeth, scoring the first try after just two minutes.

Nick Williams created the platform as he burst through in midfield and he was involved on two more occasions as play continued.

Willis Halaholo, Jarrod Evans and Josh Navidi all went close before Williams offloaded out of contact at close range for Cuthbert to power over.

Evans added the extras and despite a short-lived response from the Kings, the Blues were soon back on the attack

This time it was from turnover ball as Josh Turnbull performed a textbook jackal and his teammates went on the counter. 

Halaholo threaded an intelligent grubber kick through but it trickled into touch ahead of Blaine Scully.

It did not take long however for Wales’ Capital Region to claim their second try as Lee-Lo hit a flat miss-pass at pace and then released a fantastic offload to a stampeding Davies, who crashed over with Evans converting.

The Blues had to wait more than quarter of an hour for their next score as the Kings rallied with their dangerous back three benefitting from loose kicks.

However, they soon came thick and fast with Turnbull next to cross the whitewash. Some fine attacking play, which led to Blaine Scully being tackled into touch put the visitors in the red zone and when the hosts failed to secure the lineout they pounced.

Williams, who was involved in almost everything, contributed with a huge collision before Turnbull drove over from close range.

Evans kept up his 100 per cent record and shortly after the half-hour mark Halaholo secured the try-scoring bonus-point.

The fly-half kicked a pair of penalties to the corner and following a sustained period of pressure Halaholo powered through two defenders before twisting past a second to score under the sticks.

Evans was once again on target and he was back at the tee five minutes later after another pair of driving lineouts, which saw Schalk Ferriera sent to the sin-bin, laid the platform for Myhill to burrow over.

This time, Evans was off-target but Cardiff Blues went into the interval with a commanding 33-0 lead.

It took the Blues just two minutes following the restart to claim their sixth try as they continued to attack.

First Anscombe sliced through after hitting the line at pace from full-back and following a succession of phases Evans dabbed a delicate grubber through which Scully collected to score.

Dukisa gave his side the faintest hope of a comeback with a consolation try on 47 minutes but it was extinguished when another rampaging driving lineout saw Myhill grab a second. That was to be the Blues last score with Lindo Welemu claiming a consolation for the hosts.