Glasgow Warriors 52 - 24 Cardiff Rugby
HT 28-10
Fri 23 September 19:35 Scotstoun Stadium Ref: Chris Busby United Rugby Championship

Glasgow Warriors 52 Cardiff Rugby 24

Fri 23 Sep 2022 21:59 Glasgow Warriors 52 Cardiff Rugby 24

Cardiff fell to a disappointing BKT United Rugby Championship defeat after Glasgow Warriors struck with 21-points in seven deadly minutes.

Dai Young’s side had made the perfect start in Scotland with Josh Adams darting over after just 15 minutes.

However, the Warriors came storming back and they put the Blue and Blacks to the sword in devastating fashion, with three converted tries through Fraser Brown, Cole Forbes and Matt Fagerson. 

The hosts were fortunate not to lose fly-half Tom Jordan caught Josh Adams shoulder to the head but they claimed a bonus-point try before the break and added four more in the second-half. 

Cardiff claimed further tries through Kristian Dacey and Liam Belcher but they were merely a consolation as they left Scotstoun empty-handed. 

The battered and bruised Blue and Blacks now return to Wales ahead of a home encounter against Emirates Lions where they will be desperate to respond. 

Glasgow, playing their first home game of the season and with a new head coach in Franco Smith, got off to a fast start at  chilly Scotstoun Stadium.

They tapped an early penalty quickly as they looked to inject tempo into the game at every opportunity and enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges.

An initial period of pressure came to an end when they were pinged for crossing but they were back deep in Cardiff territory after pinching a line out and then kicking to the corner.

The Scots rumbled towards the whitewash before George Horne fumbled at the breakdown to give Cardiff a reprieve.

The Blue and Blacks, playing in their alternate red and black strip, built their way into the encounter and enjoyed their own brief period of pressure before play was stopped for a serious injury to Scotland international Rory Darge.

Following an extended break in play for the flanker to receive treatment, Cardiff came flying out of the blocks. 

A razor-sharp line and plenty of power saw Max Llewellyn drive through the heart of the Glasgow defence. He was eventually hauled down but the damage was done. 

The ball was quickly spread to the right and Evans fire a long pass to Adams, who picked the ball off his shoe-laces at full pace for a fine try. Evans converted to give Cardiff a 0-7 lead after 18 minutes. 

However, it did not take long for the hosts to respond and they did so in emphatic fashion.

Tom Jordan and Sione Tuipulotu combined to send Cole Forbes close. Max Llewellyn saved the day but Thomas Young was sent to the bin after infringing at the breakdown. Glasgow went to the corner and rumbled over with Fraser Brown the beneficiary. 

Horne converted and he was quickly back at the tee, at virtually the same stuff, as Glasgow struck with a fine length of the pitch try straight from the restart.

Tuipulotu made the initial bust to create the score for Forbes and it was his 50:22 that laid the foundations for Glasgow to claim a third try in seven minutes. 

It looked as though Cardiff had held Matt Fagerson up as he broke blind and drove to the line but referee Chris Busby spotted the ball being grounded. He still opted to consult the TMO, to check for a knock on, but saw no reason to overturn the decision.

Horne was again on target to give Glasgow a commanding 21-7 lead. 

Cardiff could be forgiven for being shell-shocked but they threatened in attack and could have been given a significant numerical advantage on 34 minutes. 

Glasgow had been fired up and when Tom Jordan, as the secondary tackler, made contact with the head of Josh Adams, the home crowd assumed red. 

Busby went to the TMO and it appeared a clear red card, however, a yellow card was given to the bemusement of even the Scottish press box. 

Evans responded with a penalty to make it 21-10 but Horne darted over and converted at the end of the half to wrap up the bonus-point and give his side a 28-10 advantage.

There was little doubt Cardiff needed an early response and they got just that after Dacey stretched over on 43 minutes. The hooker touched down after a powerful driving line out with Evans adding the extras. 

It gave Cardiff a glimmer of hope in the encounter but the hard work was quickly undone as a combination of offloads and darts through the middle saw Glasgow surge downfield for Zander Fagerson to barrel over. 

Cardiff were dealt a further blow on 52 minutes when Willis Halaholo was sent to the sin-bin for a high tackle and from the subsequent penalty, Glasgow claimed a sixth try as Brown completed a driving brace. 

It appeared as though the Scots had claimed a seventh when Jordan finished in the corner, but the try was disallowed just before the restart after the TMO spotted a forward pass. 

They did not however have to wait long with Tom Gordon and then Stafford McDowell crossing either side of a Belch consolation.