Cardiff Blues 9 - 30 Scarlets
Wed 13 May 19:35 Cardiff Arms Park Att: 8,212 Ref: James Jones Celtic League

Cardiff Blues 9 Scarlets 30

Wed 13 May 2009 14:53 Cardiff Blues 9 Scarlets 30

Cardiff Blues 9 Scarlets 30

Wednesday 13th May – Kick Off 7:35pm – Cardiff Arms Park


The Blues were the first on the scoreboard with a long range Ben Blair penalty following good work from Bradley Davies carrying the ball forward.


Then a superb move by the Blues saw Richie Rees show deft skills with Gareth Thomas matching his skill levels in midfield. The move eventually broke down on the right where the Blues were awarded another penalty that Blair converted leaving the score 6 -0.


The Scarlets hit back and were threatening the Blues try line through Lyons, however, a strong John Yapp tackle knocked the ball forward and the Blues cleared their lines. The west Wales outfit attacked again soon after and Priestland got them on the scoreboard with a well struck penalty.


The Scarlets continued to threaten with quick hands in the backs seeing the ball reach Williams who dived for the corner - Richie Rees tackled well and appeared to force him in touch - the decision went to the TMO who awarded the try.


The score lifted the visitors and they next attacked down the right hand side with Daniels carrying strongly. Sowden Taylor was shown a yellow for coming in from the side and Priestland converted the kick.


The Blues attacked late in the half and were awarded a penalty to close the gap but Blair was unlucky not to add to the Blues tally when his effort hit the upright.


Half Time Cardiff Blues 6 Scarlets 11


The Scarlets were soon on the scoreboard from the restart, when scrum half Gavin Cattle sprinted through the midfield without anyone laying a hand on him before passing to Dominic Day who crossed in the corner.


The Blues clawed some points back, when Ben Blair knocked over a penalty following on from good build up play into the Scarlets twenty two.


The Scarlets tried to up the tempo and seal the win by bringing on Stephen Jones and Matthew Rees.


The change paid dividends as they scored their second break away try of the match when the ball was spilled in the tackle and Lee Williams gathered the ball to sprint in and touch down under the posts. The easy conversion was scored.


Things got worse for the Blues when in the last minute Darren Daniels ran the length of the field to seal the bonus point win with Stephen Jones converting.


It was a disappointing display by the Blues, but the Scarlets won the match that proved to be their ‘cup final’.


15 Ben Blair14 Richard Mustoe 13 Jamie Robinson (46off) 12 Gareth Thomas 11 Chris Czekaj 10 Ceri Sweeney (72off) 9 Richie Rees (60off)


1 John Yapp 2 T Rhys Thomas (66off) 3 Taufa’ao Filise (60off) 4 Bradley Davies (60off)  5 Deiniol Jones 6 Ben White (69off) 7 Robin Sowden-Taylor (c) 8 Maama Molitika


16 Gary Powell (60on) 17 Ross Johnson (66on) 18 James Down (60on) 19 Scott Morgan (69on) 20 Darren Allinson (60on) 21 Dai Flanagan (72on) 22 Nicky Robinson (46on)


Cardiff Blues



Pens Blair x 3






Tries Williams x 2 Day x 1

Pens Priestland x 2



Attendance 8,212