Cardiff Blues 32 - 16 Glasgow Warriors
Fri 21 September 18:10 Cardiff Arms Park Att: 5,425 Ref: Peter Fitzgibbon Celtic League

Cardiff Blues 32 Glasgow 16

Fri 21 Sep 2007 20:45 Cardiff Blues 32 Glasgow 16
Cardiff Blues 32 Glasgow Warriors 16

Magners League Friday 21 September 6.10pm kick off

An early penalty for Glasgow after the Blues came in from the side saw Colin Gregor convert to give Glasgow the lead.

However, a great break by Richie Rees from the base of a ruck saw the Blues attack in the Glasgow twenty two. Forwards and backs inter passed before Glasgow were penalised for using hands in the ruck. The Blues once again went for the line out and this time drove over, Gareth Williams the try scorer.

A lovely dummy by Nick Robinson saw the outside half create the gap to sprint into the Glasgow twenty two once more. However, Bernardo Stortoni intercepted and it was only Nick MacleodÂ’s last ditch defence that prevented the visitors scoring and interception try at the other end.

Glasgow nearly scored again when a clearance kick was charged down but both Glasgow player failed to ground the ball as it crossed the Blues try-line. The decision had to be referred to the TMO for the first time in the Magners League at the Arms Park and a scrum five was awarded.

It was a scrappy game with sloppy passes and kicks failing to find touch. A yellow card for the Glasgow Fullback, for high tackle on Rhys Williams, saw Nick Robinson converting from 40 yards.

Minutes later, great inter passing between Macleod and Robinson saw the fly half chip through and Jamie Roberts collect the ball to dive over in the corner. Robinson added the conversion to bring the score to 15-3. However, Colin Gregor had the last word of the half, kicking two penalties for the visitors in added time.


The Blue had a great start to the second half when Jamie Roberts used his strength to break through three tackles before the ball was spun out to Nick Macleod who crashed over for a try in corner. Robinson once again added the conversion. Roberts once again showed his pace and power minutes later, handing off the Glasgow winger and sprinting in for a try in the same corner.

Having secured the bonus point the Blues continued to try to attack but the sloppiness crept back into the game. The rain started to fall but despite the conditions Glasgow substitute James Eddie did well to hold on to the ball and score a great individual try sprinting in from 50 yards.

In the 74th minute Rob Sidoli was awarded a yellow card for pulling down in the line out, however Glasgow failed to capitalise. The Blues kicked downfield and from open play they spread it wide, Ben Blair did well to side step through the defence and Sowden-Taylor passed out to Tal Selley to score the final try of the match.

Cardiff Blues 15 Nick Macleod 14 Rhys Williams 13 Tal Selley 12 Dafydd Hewitt (56off) 11 Jamie Roberts (70off) 10 Nick Robinson 9 Richie Rees (59off) 8 Xavier Rush (c) 7 Robin Sowden-Taylor 6 Ben White (61off) 5 Paul Tito 4 Deiniol Jones (50off) 3 Gary Powell (61off) 2 Gareth Williams (67off) 1 Rhys Gill 16 Scott Roberts (61on) 17 Ross Johnson (67on) 18 Robert Sidoli (50on)19 Maama Molitika (61on) 20 Jason Spice (59on) 21 Tom Riley (56on) 22 Ben Blair (70on)

Glasgow Warriors 15 Bernardo Stortoni 14 Max Evans 13 Graeme Morrison 12 Daryl Gibson 11 Thom Evans 10 Colin Gregor 9 Chris O'Young 8 Johnnie Beattie 7 Richie Vernon 6 Stevie Swindall 5 Andy Newman 4 Alastair Kellock CAPTAIN 3 Moray Low 2 Eric Milligan 1 Michael Collins 16 Pat McArthur 17 Ed Kalman 18 Dan Turner 19 James Eddie 20 Sam Pinder 21 Scott Barrow 22 Hefin O'Hare

Attendance 5425


TRIES     G. Williams   J. Eddie
     J. Roberts
     N. Macleod
     J. Roberts
     T. Selley
PENALTIES    N. Robinson x 1  C Gregor x 3
CONVERSIONS   N. Robinson x 2  C Gregor x 1