Cardiff Blues 14 - 36 Edinburgh
Sun 17 May 15:35 Cardiff Arms Park Att: 11,212 Ref: Simon McDowell Celtic League

Cardiff Blues 14 Edinburgh 36

Sun 17 May 2009 12:18 Cardiff Blues 14 Edinburgh 36
Cardiff Blues 14 Edinburgh 36
Sunday 17 May Cardiff Arms Park

Nicky Robinson kicked off this historic match and immediately the Blues looked threatening, with the backs and forwards combining well to gain ground.

The Blues got off to the dream start with two departing Arms Park favourites combining well, following some good build up play, the ball was turned over by the visitors only for Jamie Robinson to intercept and pass to younger brother Nicky, to race in under the posts.

The Blues were playing at a good tempo, keeping ball in hand while dominating possession and territory. Rhys Gill was looking especially good around the field.

Edinburgh got their first points with a Paterson penalty after 15 minutes and were counter-attacking well, looking dangerous with ball in hand.

The second Cardiff Blues try was also a well crafted effort. The Blues worked the ball to the left and as it came out to Nick Robinson he slipped a pass to Czekaj who broke the tackle with ease to touch down under the posts. Blair again converted, to bring the half time score to 14-3.

Half time Cardiff Blues 14 Edinburgh 3

The visitors were soon on the scoreboard with a penalty try, when Jamie Robinson deliberately knocked on a Edinburgh pass, coming back from an offside position, just yards from the tryline. Robinson also got 10 minutes in the bin for his troubles.

The score lifted the Scotsman and they attacked again, Ben Cairns scored after prop forward Geoff Cross had made huge inroads into the Blues half.

Edinburgh soon scored again when they turned the ball over and broke down the left with De Luca, latching on to the final pass, after they had made the most of the extra man. Paterson added the conversion.

The Blues did fight back with some good attacking moves and Mustoe coming to within yards of the Edinburgh whitewash before the ball was turned over and Edinburgh cleared their lines.

Soon after, John Houston broke down the right, ably supported by De Luca, who passed on to Phil Godman to touch down with Paterson again converting.

The Blues were in trouble with the ball being turned over far too often and players dropping off tackles allowing Edinburgh to make good ground and punish the Blues.

Edinburgh seemed to be scoring at will, with Nick De Luca touching down after intercepting a John Yapp pass. The conversion was added and that would be the last score of the match.

The Blues finish the season placed 6th in the Magners League while this afternoonÂ’s opponents Edinburgh secured second place behind league winners Munster.

With the rain lashing down it was a disappointing goodbye to the famous old ground but the mood lightened somewhat with a presentation to the greatest Arms Park XV during the professional era after the final whistle plus Paul Tito and the rest of the Blues squad were on hand to lift the EDF Energy cup aloft once more infront of the adoring Arms Park faithful..

Full time Cardiff Blues 14 Edinburgh 36

15 Ben Blair (73off) 14 Richard Mustoe 13 Jamie Robinson 12 Gareth Thomas (65off) 11 Chris Czekaj 10 Nick Robinson 9 Darren Allinson (650ff) 8 Maama Molitika 7 Robin Sowden Taylor 6 Sam Warburton (730ff) 5 Scott Morgan 4 Deiniol Jones (40off) 3 John Yapp 2 T Rhys Thomas (70off)1 Rhys Gill (60ff)  16 Sam Hobbs (60on) 17 Ross Johnson (70on) 18 James Down (40on) 19 Ben White (73on) 20 Rhys Downes (65on) 21 Dai Flanagan (73on) 22 Ceri Sweeney (65on)

Cardiff Blues
Tries N Robinson x 1 Czekaj x 1
Cons Blair x 2

Tries Penalty Try x 1 Cairns x 1 Godman x 1 De Luca x 2
Penalties Paterson x 1
Cons  Paterson x 3

Attendance 11,212