Cardiff Blues 34 - 23 Edinburgh
Sat 04 September 18:30 Cardiff City Stadium Att: 6,542 Ref: Peter Fitzgibbon Celtic League

Cardiff Blues 34 Edinburgh 23

Mon 6 Sep 2010 16:49 Cardiff Blues 34 Edinburgh 23
Cardiff Blues 34 Edinburgh 23
Saturday 4 September 6.30pm kick off

The first points of the evening came when Edinburgh were penalized for not rolling away, which gave Parks the first chance of the evening, and he delivered with a 40metre effort.

The Blues were gaining good ground into the Edinburgh twenty two but frustratingly were failing to hold on to possession. However, the breakthrough came with a lovely break by Parks, who passed inside to Rees who fed Molitika. The Tongan did well to draw his man and pass to Bradley Davies to touch down under the posts. Parks converted.

Paterson was unlucky with his first shot at goal just drifting left and it was the Blues who struck again next. A superb piece of play by the Blues saw Czekaj showing his strength and slipping the ball out of the tackle to Rush. The Kiwi chipped ahead, gathered and slipped the ball for James to run in. Parks again converted.

Edinburgh got their first points of the evening with a Paterson penalty in the 27minutes and thus began a period of pressure on the Blues try line, before eventually the ball was turned over, with Parks who was having a great debut, again clearing. Despite having a huge overlap Edinburgh failed to score when Parks, who was the last man in defence, intercepted and was dragged into touch. Deservedly he would go on to claim the man of the match award.

Edinburgh continued to attack and Cairns came within inches of scoring but solid defence kept them out, until Paterson again slotted another penalty. Dan Parks slotted a touchline penalty; however it was Paterson who got the last score of the half when he converted his third penalty.

Half time Cardiff Blues 20 Edinburgh 9

The Blues started the second half strongly attacking the Edinburgh try line. From a cleanly taken lineout by Paul Tito, the pack drove, and Rhys Thomas was in the middle of it to score. Parks maintained his 100% record with the conversion.

A great move by the Blues saw them spread the ball, with forwards carrying strongly and driving forward, which took them to within a yard of the try line. Molitika was brought down just short but it was Edinburgh who got the next score.

Ben Cairns did well to use his speed before breaking back inside and pass to Visser who eluded Tom James to touch down. Paterson again converted.

Edinburgh were finish strongly coming close to scoring when the Blues should have been going for the bonus point.

However, there was still time for a spectacular finish. The Blues turned over the ball in their own twenty two and Molitika and Mustoe did well to carry the ball up to half way. Jenkins was on hand to pass to Shanklin and when the ball was recycled a long pass found Bradley Davies who passed on to Czekaj. He did superbly to drift in and out the defence before passing to Davies who unselfishly passed on to Laulala to cross. Parks crowned a fine evening with the conversion.

Tim Visser got a late consolation try in injury time but it was a bonus point win for the Blues