Blog Banner

Cardiff under-18 make it two from two with comprehensive victory over RGC

Pathway | 23rd January 2022

Cardiff under-18 made it two from two in the WRU Regional Age Grade Championship, recording a convincing 41-10 win over RGC on Sunday.

Just days following their opening day win over Ospreys at Aberavon, Chadd Mutyambizi’s side maintained their 100 per cent record in thrilling fashion.

The bonus point was secured by half time following a dominant first half display, and added a further two tries to seal the win in style.

The Blue and Blacks now have 10 days to prepare for their next encounter, as they travel to Parc y Scarlets on February 2 before a home clash against Dragons brings the Championship to a close.

Both sides went into Sunday’s clash following impressive victories in the opening round of Championship action. A solid defensive display saw Cardiff grind out a win against Ospreys, while RGC claimed all five points in a 36-29 victory over Scarlets.

However, the hosts came flying out the blocks at Cardiff Arms Park, crossing for the game’s opening try within a minute of kick off as number eight Kian Evans powered over the whitewash following good work from the pack.

RGC replied with a Tom Jarman penalty but after 11 minutes of action, Cardiff were over once again. Centre Morgan Bowen registered his first score of the campaign after the Blue and Blacks broke from first phase play off the scrum.

Cardiff continued to apply pressure but had to work hard to find a breakthrough for their third try of the afternoon. It eventually came as Bowen trucked up from a scrum deep in the RGC half. The Ysgol Gyfun Glantaf pupil was able to release his hands and offload to midfield partner, Ethan Rudyj, who dotted down.

There was just about time for Cardiff to secure a bonus point, capping off a dominant opening half. After the forwards made the hard yards up front, the ball was pulled to the back and some slick handling across the line eventually created the overlap for Dan Nzamba to touch down in the corner.

Wing Nzamba turned creator to produce the first try of the second half. Picking up a scrappy ball on the half way line, he burst through the initial line of defence. He was met by full back Gruffudd ap Ieuan but kept composed to find Orson James in support on his shoulder, with the scrum half running in unopposed to put Cardiff in the driving seat.

A strong driving line-out saw RGC strike back through Brychan Jones with their first try of the afternoon, but Harri Wilde kept the scoreboard ticking with a penalty for the hosts.

With the clock in the red, Cardiff capped off the afternoon with their sixth try of the afternoon. With a penalty advantage behind them and possession deep in the RGC 22, the ball was spun wide and once again Nzamba was on hand to provide the finishing touch in the corner.